I drew out some sketchbook pages on what I did and how I created each of the frames. Each image was edited in Photoshop before then Importing them in to After Effects and cutting each image to last only one frame.
I opened up the image I scanned in earlier in Photoshop so that I could edit it and keep just the figures outline.
I then used the "select" option at the top of the page to select just the shadows on the page - hence only selecting the dark outlines. Any parts I don't want to keep in the final drawing I then deleted to keep the outline of the figure the only thing on the page.
I then selected the outline and saved it as a photoshop document to then use later on.
I also added clothing to some of the figures for the final 10 seconds. I had them saved separately so that I could add them in Photoshop.
I selected each piece of clothing separately and moved it into the right position so that it would look like they had been drawn on originally.
I took the Photoshop images into After Effects and layered them all to make each image only one frame each. I layered them over the top of each other to make sure that I had them all lined up perfectly and the animation would flow well.
By having the images as a progressive step sequence it means that when the clip is played they will all show when they should, making a perfect animation.
Due to the number of frames I drew out, the image sequence flows really well and it isn't really obvious that it was made up of multiple images - this proves to me that I have done a good job.
I had about 332 frames or more in total all on different layers so I used the "hide layers" tool to stop me getting to confused. By also locking each layer it means that once I've put the layer where I want I wouldn't accidentally change it - I spent over 14 hours in the library straight trying to do this!!!
I also tried to have a background on my animation - I used one of my successful ragograms to create this background. I lowered the opacity so that the figure was still visible as it is the main feature.
For the end credits, I added my name - each letter is added a couple of frames at a time so that it looks like it is being typed like a typewriter.
This screenshot shows a fraction of the layers involved in my animation. This really shows how much work went into producing it.
I saved lots of images and files to my desktop so that I had easy access to all of the things I needed to create my animation.
I researched into african dance to make sure that my animation was as realistic and would fit well to my music as the video I used as inspiration has similar music style to my audio track. Here is the youtube video I watched to get my dance moves.
I think that this dancing is really energetic and would fit very well to my audio track. Here are the dance moves I came up with, inspired by the video above :
1- side stepping motion, upbeat and bouncy (possibly repeated)
2- Duck down and high jump, very energetic.
3- spiral leg kick, the arms tend to follow the movement of the leg in a fluid movement.
I drew out the different stages of an evolution line - going from monkey to fully standing man. As he goes up the line, different things happen such as him scratching himself and eating a banana. By adding the extra things that happen throughout the evolution process it adds a comedy value making my animation much more entertaining. By doing this mock up of an evolution line I now have more of an idea of what drawings to do for the process and how many frames I need for each part.
I worked out how many frames and what length of time to spend on each part of the evolution...
a 30 second animation = 360 frames (12fps)
evolving- 20 seconds (0s-20s) = 240 frames
dancing- 10 seconds (20s-30s) = 120 frames ( I may also be able to repeat some of these frames to make the drawing process faster and more efficient.)
These are the pages of notes I jotted down about my chosen animation. I will have an ape evolving into a man (from earlier research) and also include the repeat patterns around the edge in time with the music. I also drew out the start, middle and end frames of my storyboard and had a small brainstorm about what background could be used.
I really like the idea of a colour wash and using the rayogram. I will have to experiment with both and see what happens.