Wednesday 2 March 2011

8 hours of PAPER manipulation later!

I thought about some of the techniques I'd learnt and also about how nature uses repetition and it gave me the idea to use one of the shapes I had created earlier (the spherical form - tabs on the outside) as this already contains repetition of triangles with tabs etc. and expand on it. I decided the best way to do this was to create almost a chain of these balls all joined together. This is how I went about doing it...


1) I created a template for my shapes using an equilateral triangle of 5cm edges. Using a compass I created curved tabs which will later be used to attach the sculpture together.  


2) I cut out lots and LOTS of the template on black card as I thought my sculpture would stand out in a darker colour. 


3) I used a scalpel to create score lines along where the triangle edges were before stapling the tabs of the pieces together. Having 5 corners joining at one point.  


4) As I started joining more and more of the small pieces together a spherical shape began to form and by using a template earlier on, the pieces all fitted together much better than when I first attempted the spherical form.


5) Rather than adding a final piece in to complete the sphere, I attached 3 other pieces to the tabs and started forming another sphere that joined easily and strongly to the original.


6) As you can see I created several spheres all joined up almost like a chain with some having more joins that others. One of the center spheres has three that join on to it.


7) I decided to alter the material I was using slightly by using white card. This would draw attention to my piece as it will now be two strong shades - Black and White.


Here are some photographs of the finished piece. Hopefully I will take some better ones with a better camera VERY soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment