Wednesday 2 March 2011

Repetition in nature to inspire my PAPER model

To inspire me in the making of my Piece to be hung in the Atrium of Sheffield Hallam, Sheaf building, I took a look at Nature. Nature is full of repeat patterns that are much more noticeable once you open your eyes and really look.  In fact, nature is designed in such a way to be repetitive. I thought up some way in which the repetition was particularly obvious and browsed the internet to find images to demonstrate this. I would have sourced primary images, however it would be EXTREMELY difficult to get some of these shots (especially sand dunes and waves as I live in Sheffield!).


1) Clouds are maybe less obvious, however if you look they all have similar patterns and they are all almost rough copies of each other.


2) This fern leaf has several repeats. Each set of leaves coming off the main stem is a repeat of the others. If you also look really closely, there are hundreds of small leaves that make up the larger ones. They are repeats too.


3) This flower shows repetition in multiple ways too. The petals are all repeats and so are the seeds in the middle of the flower. They might not be EXACTLY the same, however they are very very similar. . . and thats good enough for me!


4) Sand dunes are a perfect example of repeat patterns. The way the wind blows creates these fantastic waves in the sand and they all follow the same pattern. This is nature truly showing off it's patterns is all their glory.


5) Water ripples are also repeats even if they don't look like them at first glance. They start as a small circle in the middle, then slowly get bigger around the first one. This is definitely a repeat pattern concentrated at a central point. 


6) Water waves are very obvious patterns in the sea as they always have the same basic shape/pattern. As you can see in the image below, with two waves following each other the repeat pattern is easy to see.


I did manage to get one image that I took at the end of last year when it was freezing and snowing, looking at it, it relates particularly well to the repeat pattern theme.

Icicles are certainly repeat patterns in nature. In this image they are also very evenly spaced out along the leaf showing another aspect of repetition.

Looking at how nature can inspire me to use repetition I am going to attempt to bring repetition into my sculpture more. Nature can't exactly be wrong can it!

No comments:

Post a Comment