Thursday 10 March 2011

Task 1 PAPER sculpture - final!

I took my idea of a spiral that I worked on earlier as well as the inspiration of Richard Sweeney' spiral that was created in a similar way. I decided that if I made a few of these spirals, I could then join them together in a way that would make them much more visually interesting and more impressive as a sculpture.


I first created a rough version to see how it would look and how to secure it together. For this version I used staples to keep it together, however I wont in my final piece, because I think they look messy.




This is the template I created to make sure all 6 spirals were the same size and shape. I thought that this would make it easier for me to attach them together.


Here is one complete spiral. It has a lovely shape to it and the spiral seems to flow really well as one piece that continuously goes round. To secure the paper in place, I used a needle and white thread to stitch the pieces together - making the joining point less obvious and neater.


After making six of these spirals, all identical in size and shape, I needed to attach them together in the pattern I worked out earlier on to create the final piece. I stitched them together two at a time then also added some clear tape to make them extra secure so that it would stay together when hung. I did however keep the tape on the inside, as the piece is designed to be viewed from the bottom.


This is my final piece, I photographed it from below with specific lighting as it was designed to be viewed. As you can see, where area's of paper overlap there is a darker part on the photograph.


No comments:

Post a Comment